Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This Is It: and Other Essays on Zen and Spiritual Experience by Alan w Watts

My reading this book was perfect timing for when i read it. It was just what i needed at the time. It's a collection of essays. I did get sort of a theme of commentary on dualism; especially with the mystic/sensualist, spiritualist/materialist part. My interpretation is he is commenting on the paradox of being in a "spiritual" or "mystical" state and balancing with the material world we see and can enjoy all around us. Especially interesting to me is the idea of these school of camps trying to get you to prescribe to a way of being of their choosing and having to choose one extreme over another, how there doesn't seem the option, but possible to be balancing on a fence in between. There doesn't seem as much acceptance, at least at that time, for such thinking, but I think a lot of us do, whether we realize it or not. Although I get an impression from him sometimes that he struggles quite a bit and may not be as stable as his persona (whether created by him or outside) portrays, I think he really gives a good inner dialog I/you can relate with.
Find This Is It on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment